MEMORIAL OF THE MARRIAGE OF ALBERT EDWARD PRINCE OF WALES, by W.H. Russell; R. Dudley - 1863$675.00
A Memorial of the Marriage of HRH Albert Edward Prince of Wales and HRH Alexandra Princess of Denmark
by W.H. Russell
illustrated by Robert Dudley
FIRST EDITION. London: Day & Son, 1863 (presumed)
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition with VERY GOOD+ plates.
- Elephant folio volume is quarter-bound in red leather and features gilt on covers, bright gilt on spine, AEG, as well as colorful lithographic plates inside.
- Lithographs are tipped in, and overall in great condition, with some damp staining affecting only margins, and possible light foxing to plates. (See photos)
- Plates have vibrant colors and are remarkably well preserved.
- Boards display commensurate aging and wear. Front board is faded with some scuffs. Back board is in better condition.
- Covers exhibit overall edgewear, with rubbing and chips, and areas of exposed boards along foot and fore edges.
- Front cover shows some bumping to corners, notable at foot corner, which also shows a crease with rippling over 6" across corner. (See photos)
- Spine features gilt lettering and lines as well as five double raised bands.
- Spine displays overall rubbing and scuffing, more on raised bands, yet is overall well preserved with gilt still bright.
- Binding is secure with reinforced hinges, and shows evidence of some expert repairs, including along gutter between last pages. (See photos)
- Pastedowns display light damage to corners with bumping and creases.
- Front endpapers have half-erased (washed?) pencil writing to head corner.
- Interior is gently age-toned with frequent marginal damp staining that affects foot and lower edges of pages, 0.75" at most into page from margin - a notable difference from text and plates. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages exhibit some flaws throughout:
- first pages to approx. p. 7 show a persistent crease to foot corner, starting 9" across corner on front fep and fading through to page 7
- dedication page shows evidence of tears having been professionally repaired
- p. 90 has a 1.25" tear along foot edge near gutter. (See photos)
- Text block edges have AEG and display light fading and overall scuffing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
122 pages + appendix. 15 x 22.25 inches.
Handsome 19th century binding is in elephant folio format, and features gilt on decorated covers, raised bands on spine, all edges gilt, and numerous tipped-in lithographic plates exhibiting well-preserved vibrant color. This exceptional presentation is a rare find commemorating a great event.
This magnificent series of lithographs celebrating the wedding of two great royals presents the event in all the color and gaiety of the celebration. As the illustrations bring it to life a text completes this record, delivering additional information on the context of the event, as well as praising details on the high birth and character of the two royals.
The wedding of Prince Albert Edward of Wales and Princess Alexandra of Denmark began the longest held title for a Princess of Wales. At Queen Victoria's death in 1901 Prince Albert Edward became King Edward VII, and upon his death in 1910 Queen Alexandra was the dowager queen and the mother of the reigning King George V. Queen Alexandra is historically noted for setting trends all over the world as well as influencing her husband and British ministers to favor Greek and Danish interests. Despite having to fulfill her duties as a queen and raising her children she also developed a talent for woodworking and photography, and managed an extensive charity work.
Lavishly illustrated with 41 full-color lithographic plates, as well as over 20 B&W wood engravings and an illuminated title page. Includes pages of text, as well as an extensive appendix on the bridal gifts that includes yet more lithographs and engravings.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore