MEMOIRS OF LODGE No.51, F. & A.M. OF PENNSYLVANIA, by James McMullan - 1941 [Ltd Ed/300]$195.00
Memoirs of Lodge No. 51, F. & A.M. of Pennsylvania
by James McMullan
The first history compiled about this historic Philadelphia lodge of Freemasons--Lodge 51, constituted in 1791. Public records show that this lodge has since merged with University Lodge Number 610 to become University Lodge 51, that continues to meet at the remarkable Philadelphia Masonic Temple at One North Broad Street.
George E. Nitzsche appointed the committee, chaired by James McMullan, to provide a detailed chronological history. Other committee members include: Herbert C. Brown, George M. Henry and John C. Hinkley. Includes a detailed list of Grand Lodge officers at page 419. Page 437 introduces the biographies that fill the rest of the book. It concludes with two helpful indices: 1) of Subjects and 2) of Names.
Carefully compiled with years of meticulous research through all available documents, this is a valuable piece of history and a labor of love deserving of a fine Freemason's library. 1225 pages + 32 index pages. 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
Limited Edition: No. 39 of 300 Copies. Includes a foreword, 32 pages of index, and a letter approving the publication of this edition.
Presumed First Edition, published by: McMullan's Masonic Committee, Philadelphia, PA, 1941.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays moderate signs of aging and wear to covers and mild inside.
- Blue covers show some fading and scuffing, mostly on back where there are several firm impressions into the boards. (see photos)
- Boards display some edgewear, including rubbing with a hard bump at back fore edge.
- Rounded spine features title in gilt, and exhibits overall sunning and scuffs. There are several indentations at lower half, with a hard bump in the middle, resulting in a 0.5" x 0.25" closed tear. (See photos)
- Spine ends are softened, moreso at foot.
- Binding is overall secure, and has some play. Hinges are intact.
- Interior is well-preserved with minor toning.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages exhibit edgewear from creasing mostly to fore edge. (See photos)
- Text block edges show overall toning, faint scattered foxing, and some scuffs.
- Fore edge of text block exhibits evidence of hard bumps in top portion that generated some marginal creases.
- Some of the imperfections of this book may have come from a single drop, with edge of the back cover colliding with a chair edge, with the resulting cascade to the floor bumping the pages.
- Textblock edges exhibit a 3/4 inch long blue ink stain to foot of first pages. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore