MBUTI DESIGN: PAINTINGS BY PYGMY WOMEN, by G. Meurant & R.F. Thompson - 1995 [1st Ed]
Mbuti Design: Paintings by Pygmy Women of the Ituri Forest
by Georges Meurant and Robert Farris Thompson
FIRST EDITION. London: Thames and Hudson, 1995.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD++ condition with VERY GOOD+ DJ.
- ISBN: 0500974306
- Volume features great color illustrated DJ, as well as yellow cloth covers with black text on spine.
- Book displays minimal overall wear to covers, interior and DJ.
- Covers exhibit faint dust along edges, as well as a tiny black spot on front.
- Binding is secure throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges exhibit some dust along head, as well as minimal soiling. (See photos)
- DJ is not price-clipped.
- DJ minimal edgewear, at corners and spine ends. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
223 pages. 10 x 12 inches.
Volume features great color-illustrated DJ, as well as yellow cloth covers and monochrome illustrated endpapers.
Book contains over 600 illustrations, 101 of which are in full color. Included are several maps, a bibliography and a glossary of African terms, as well as an index.
This magnificent, colorfully illustrated work is a tribute to the art of the Pygmy women living in the Ituri forest of northeastern Congo. Since 3500 BC they distinguished themselves with their rare gifts for music and dance, but not until recently have their pictorial works been discovered in the West, revealing stunning skill and symbolic depth. Often created to adorn ceremonial clothes, these works of art reveal a complexity that elevates them to the level of meaningful abstract compositions. This remarkable volume associates the faithful color reproductions of their works, with a fascinating text that delves deep into the profound aspects of such brilliant art, its aesthetic and symbolic meaning for the people who create it. (loosely from DJ flap)
The Ituri rainforest is located in the Ituri province of northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, taking its name from the Ituri River that flows through it and finally connecting into the Congo.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore