MASSACRES OF CHRISTIANS BY HEATHEN CHINESE, by Harold Irwin Cleveland - 1900 [1st Ed]
Massacres of Christians by Heathen Chinese, and Horrors of the Boxers
by Harold Irwin Cleveland
First Edition. Published by: National Publishing Company. Philadelphia, PA. 1900.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Green cloth covers featuring ink-stamped title with illustrated plate and ink illustrations exhibit commensurate signs of age and wear.
- Boards are age-toned, stained and scuffed with sunning along the perimeter and prominent stains to the illustrated plate.
- Corners are rubbed with exposed board.
- Spine has ink-stamped lettering and color illustration with pushed, frayed ends and tears along the rear ridge.
- Gutters are lightly cracked to the following: Ffep verso/facing plate, Preface (viii) - Contents (xv), 30/31, 32/33, 48/49, 320/321, 576/577.
- Textblock is lightly shaken to the following: Contents, section of plates preceding Chapter I, 18-31, 40-47, 578/579, 580-591.
- Illustrated endpapers are gently age-toned with light wear though overall remain free of major signs of age or wear.
- Front pastedown exhibits a 1.25" portion missing from the finish (with a similar portion missing from the ffep) and a 6" crack along the front hinge. Please see photos.
- Ffep verso bears partially erased pencil from the area of the top left corner.
- Frontispiece recto bears partially erased number and a date written in pencil.
- Frontispiece is present and is lightly toned.
- Plates are present, intact and unworn.
- Interior is gently age-toned though overall remains free of major signs of age or wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are darkened and scuffed.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
612 pages. 7" by 9.25"
"Massacres of Christians by Heathen Chinese, and Horrors of the Boxers; containing a complete history of the Boxers; the Tai-Ping insurrection and massacres of the foreign ministers; manners, customs and peculiarities of the Chinese; Oriental splendors; superstitions; secret societies; the opium habit; idol worship; industries; great cities; natural scenery; etc, etc."
This great work contains full accounts of atrocities in China, by such eminent missionaries as Bishop Thoburn, Bishop Anzer, Miss Anna D. Gloss, Superintendent of Christian Hospitals in Pekin, Calvin H. Mills of Shan-Tung, China and many others.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.