MARTHA GRAHAM, by Barbara Morgan - 1941 [Signed 1st Ed.]
Martha Graham: Sixteen Dances in Photographs
by Barbara Morgan
First edition, signed by Graham. New York: Duell, Sloane and Pearce 1941
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Boards covered in pale gray cloth have red inked title. Boards show wear, smudges, stains, edgewear. Corners are frayed, with exposed board.
- Spine has red text and is darkened, with crushed ends, damage at foot end. See photos for details of condition.
- Binding is secure.
- Pastedowns and feps are age toned. Front pastedown has gift inscription from Martha Graham.
- Ephemera include clippings from New York Times (dance reviews by John Martin), part of original illustrated DJ. See photos for details of condition.
- Ex libris book features an owner's bookplate on front pastedown.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned throughout, with marginal toning, corners folded back 1/4" pages 155-159. See photos for details of condition.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have some dirt and staining.
160 pages. 10 x 11.5 inches.
An effort to capture the "dancer's fugitive art" through the medium of photography. Sixteen of Martha Graham's compositions photographed with the goal of capturing the emotion of the work.
PROVENANCE: Bookplate on front pastedown: From the collection of Amy Rosen. Amy Sue Rosen (1956-2003) was a modern dance choreographer in New York City known for her collaboration with the painter Derek Bernstein.
Inscribed on front pastedown "To David Reinmuth, Best wishes always" and signed Martha Graham.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore