MARK ROTHKO: WORKS ON CANVAS--Catalogue Raisonne, by David Anfam - 1998$320.00
Mark Rothko: Works on Canvas
by David Anfam
When Mark Rothko (1903-70) started his career in New York in the early 1920s, America had no established art. Before his tragic suicide, he completed a mural series for the Rothko Chapel commissioned by the de Menil family, accomplishing for American painting what the Monet water lilies did for French painting in the 1920s.
Recently, Rothko has received renewed attention with a traveling retrospective from the National Gallery, currently at the Whitney Museum in New York. Anfam (Mark Rothko: The Chapel Commission, Menil Foundation, 1996) connects Rothko to major figures in art history with a historical, philosophical, literary, mythical, and psychological framework for the artist's development as a painter.
Within the catalog itself the reproductions are grouped chronologically, with a complete concordance. Inscription, collection, provenance, and exhibition and publication information for each painting are also provided, and the book closes with the most extensive bibliography compiled on Rothko to date. Lacking only is a chronology of the artist's life. The catalog will continue with works on paper in additional volumes.
Features high quality photographic reproductions. Included is a concordance of estate and catalogue numbers, works in public collections, reference abbreviations, bibliography, illustration acknowledgements and an index. 708 pages. 12" by 12".
Volume is issued in the original slipcase featuring black cloth lined with illustrated heavy paper.
Published by Yale University Press. New Haven, CT. 1998.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD++ condition.
- ISBN: 0300074891
- Black cloth covers appear mildly faded along the edges with areas of discoloration and prominent stains to the back. remain free of any major sign of age or wear. stains
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine, square and firm with lightly worn lettering, is gently darkened and exhibits a 1.75" scratch along the lower area.
- Binding is firm.
- Frontispiece is present and remains free of apparent signs of age or wear.
- Interior remains free of any apparent signs of age or wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block top edge exhibits light flecks to the inner portion.
- The original illustrated black cloth slipcase exhibits light stains, scuffs, shallow indentations most notably to the ridges of the spine, pronounced scratches to the back and wear in a very small portion of cloth at the spine head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore