MARINER's MAGAZINE: STURMY's Mathematical & Practical Navigatigation - 1700$850.00
MARINERs MAGAZINE STURMY's Mathematical & Practical Navigatigation Sailing. 1700
The Mariner's Magazine, Or, Sturmy's Mathematical and Practical Arts.
by Captain Samuel Sturmy
VERY SCARCE old reference book covering many sailing topics, particularly navigation. This is seven of Sturmy's 17th century books/magazines bound into one volume. 7.5 x 12 inches.
- Book I: Starts at chapter 3 of 4. The Compleat Mariner. Geometrical Problems. Pages 13-30
- Book II: Sixteen chapters in this book include: A Description of Instruments. How to Make Instruments. Chapters on the use of the Quadrant, Nocturnal and other instruments. Plus a table: A Constant Kalendar, and how to read it.. 3 foldout plates verified. Pages 31-78.
- Book III: Trigonometry, in three chapters. Pages 79-93.
- Book IV: Seventeen chapters in this book include: Sailing by the Plain Chart. Geographical Sailing. How to keep a Journal at Sea. A table of the Longitude and Latitude of the Chiefest Places of the World. One foldout plate verified. Pages 93-148
- Book V: Twelve chapters in this book include: The Art of Surveying of Land by the Sea Compass. The Description of the Compass. The Art of Taking the Breadth of River and how to make a map. The Art of Gunnery. Artificial Fireworks. Fortification. Verified 3 foldout plates + 1 plate. Pages 1-64
- Book VI: Astronomical Problems, in three chapters. Pages 65-86
- Book VII: The Art of Dialing. Penalties and Forfeitures relating to the customs and navigation. Pages 87-116.
- Table of Triangulorum Logarithmicus: Or, A Table of Artificial Sines and Tangents to Every Degree and Minute of the Quandrant. The Common Radius being 10,000000.
- Also includes a table of numbers: "Chiliades decem Logarithmorum, Or, The Logarithms of all Numbers From an Unite of 10000: Whereby the Logarithms of all Numbers under 1000000. First Composed by that Excellent Mathemetian Mr. Henry Briggs, Professor of Geometry at the University of Oxford."
Richard Mount, London. 1700.
Overall in FAIR TO GOOD condition.
- Originally leather bound, as seen in spine portion. Text block is strong as is. Pages are heavy stock and firm.
- Missing: front and rear boards, as well as much of spine, prelims, title page, and first 12 pages of Book I. Also missing at least 2 plates in Book V.
- Rough and soiled pages edges. Some margin water stains, with the rare closed tear. Some contemporary marginalia (mostly cursive quill ink, a little pencil), as well as a loose sheet of notes (back feps?).
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
Books over $250 will ship insured, which will incur additional shipping charges.
- When you buy from us, we would greatly appreciate positive feedback to add to our ratings! Thank you in advance!
- We encourage you to contact us with any questions! We also welcome additional information on any of our listings.
- Other shipping options may be available. Please contact us for more details and information. Pickup is also welcome!
- Orders ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment, unless otherwise notified. Payment is due within 2 days of auction end to guarantee availability and price.
- International Buyers: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges; these charges are the BUYER's responsibility. FULL VALUE will be declared on all overseas items.
- If your order hasn't arrived, or isn't as described, please contact us and we'll work with you to find a satisfactory resolution!
Launched from my store - Powered by Highwire.com