MARCEL BROODTHAERS COLLECTED WRITINGS, by Gloria Moure - 2012
Marcel Broodthaers Collected Writings
by Gloria Moure
Barcelona, Spain: Ediciones Poligrafa, 2012
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD++ condition.
- ISBN: 9788434312876
- Illustrated cover features a collage of photos and documents from magazines and manuscripts from 1971.
- Boards are in overall very good condition with signs of light shelfwear on the back cover.
- Corners are in very good condition with a slightly bumped top right corner.
- Spine has red text against a white background.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Endpapers and feps feature "Carte du Monde Utopique" and "Carte du Monde Poétique" from 1968.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
509 pages. 8.5 x 10.5 inches.
Marcel Broodthaers was a Belgian poet, filmmaker and artist with a highly literate and often witty approach to creating art works.
Broodthaers was born in Brussels, Belgium, where he was associated with the Groupe Surréaliste-revolutionnaire from 1945 and dabbled in journalism, film, and poetry. After spending 20 years in poverty as a struggling poet, at the end of 1963 he decided to become an artist and began to make objects. He performed the symbolic act of embedding fifty unsold copies of his book of poems Pense-Bête in plaster, creating his first art object. That same year, 1964, for his first exhibition, he wrote an infamous introduction that was printed onto pages cut from magazines that doubled as the exhibition's public announcement:
"I, too, wondered whether I could not sell something and succeed in life. For some time I had been no good at anything. I am forty years old... Finally the idea of inventing something insincere crossed my mind and I set to work straightaway. At the end of three months I showed what I had produced to Philippe Edouard Toussaint, the owner of the Galerie St Laurent. 'But it is art' he said 'and I will willingly exhibit all of it.' 'Agreed' I replied. If I sell something, he takes 30%. It seems these are the usual conditions, some galleries take 75%. What is it? In fact it is objects."
Broodthaers made his first film in 1957, and from 1967 he produced over 50 short films in documentary, narrative, and experimental styles.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore