Lithographs: CE QU'ON DIT ET CE QU'ON PENSE, by Scheffer Gabriel -1829 [rebound]$2,800.00
Ce qu'on Dit et ce qu'on Pense
by Scheffer Gabriel
A lovely collection of hand-colored lithographic plates that show the world that words do not always speak the speaker's mind. Each colorful lithograph is captioned with what the characters say, and then what they are thinking at the time, showing the striking difference between the former and the latter. Full of French repartie and wit, the scenes are set in the delightful environment of the beginning of the nineteenth century, and picture characters from private and civil life as well as politics and statesmen, even including famous artists like Rossini. 60 plates of pure enjoyment, an amusing reminder that people seldom say what they think, and that what is said does not always express what is thought. 60 plates. Pages not numbered. 14 x 11 inches.
60 hand-colored lithographic plates. Complete with extensive conservation. Caption sentences in French only.
Presumed first edition. Published by: Gihaut Freres, Editeurs, Paris, 1829.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volume is in very good condition, having been freshly rebound, with professional conservation to interior and very little damage to lithographic images.
- Half leatherbound, with intricate fine marbled paper that sparkles, and minimally aged.
- Spine is original and features text and decorative designs in gilt, and shows mild rubbing with minor fading. Professionally removed from original and then added to new binding.
- Volume has been completely rebound, preserving original spine piece, and including fresh endpapers, and reinforced at spine and hinges.
- Binding is secure.
- Lithographic plates display minor damage from toning and some offset shadows. (See photos)
- Text block edges are deckled and dusty, with light bumping to corners.
- Interior is a bit rough, even with conservation, and exhibits expected toning as well as foxing and smudges.
- Paper is of heavy stock and displays expected warping.
- Professional conservation has strengthened and sometimes repaired the heavy wear to the interior. Includes added paper to reinforced pages and tears, as well as what appears to be archival tape on some longer closed tears.
- Some pages exhibit minor marginal tears and chips, evidence of repairs previous to professional conservation, visibly mended tears, as well as residues and color differences.
- Image on last page had been excised from original back cover and remounted inside on its own newer page. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore