LES PERSES ACHEMENIDES, by Ernest Babelon - 1893 [1st Ed]
Les Perses Achemenides, Les Satrapes et les Dynastes Tributaires de leur Empire, Cypre & Phenicie
by Ernest Babelon
FIRST EDITION. Published by: C. Rollin & Feuardent, Paris, 1893.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays mild commensurate aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Green cloth covers display mild overall edgewear and minor general rubbing.
- Spine features titleblock in brown leather with gilt, showing moderate overall rubbing and scuffing.
- Binding is secure. Binding is reinforced with cloth on end plate pages at gutter.
- Front endpaper is partly cut at hinge. (See photos)
- Feps display some foxing. Front fep shows ballpoint pen mark. (See photos)
- Plate pages at end of volume are well-preserved, showing overall toning, occasional red pencil underlinings and scarce foxing and smudges.
- Interior exhibits moderate overall toning, slightly more pronounced along margins, with scarce occasional foxing.
- Some plate pages show small red pencil underlinings. (See photos)
- One page inside is mended with tape at edge. (See photos)
- Text block edges are stippled, and show expected toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
The history of the making of coins in the ancient Persian empire. The volume traces the past of coin-making in one of the first regions of the world to produce them. When Cyrus, King of Persia, made the conquest of Asia minor in 548 BC, the Greeks in these lands were already skilled in con-making. Before and since, coin-making has been a tradition that left us one of the most important legacies of Antiquity. Tracing back the history of coin-making in this region of the world and the dynasts tributary of this vast empire, the volume completes the thorough study with an analysis of the past of these various dynasties.
Text in French. Includes a catalog of coins and a detailed history. Includes 39 plates in end section.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore