LEAVES OF GRASS, by Walt Whitman - 1882
Leaves of Grass
by Walt Whitman
1st Philadelphia Edition. Published by: Rees Welsh & Co. Philadelphia, PA. 1882.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Brown cloth boards featuring gilt lettering and border exhibit commensurate age and wear.
- Covers are scuffed, rubbed and exhibit black stains to areas, most notably to the rear with portions of the cloth detached from the front board. Please see photos.
- Corners are bumped and rubbed.
- Spine has gilt lettering and illustration with rubbing, scuffing, creases along the length and crushed ends where there are slits and tears in the cloth. Please see photos.
- Hinges have been reinforced. Please see photos.
- Binding is firm overall though loosened along the gutters in the following areas: 72-93, 168/169.
- Illustrated endpapers are gently darkened and stained.
- Front pastedown bears a number in pencil.
- Illustrated plate and accompanying tissue guard are fully intact; tissue guard bears impression from facing plate. Please see photos.
- Interior is gently age-toned and exhibits the occasional faint stain and foxing. Please see photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are darkened, scuffed and rubbed.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
382 pages. 5.5" by 7.25".
Printed from the same plates used in the original production of the 1882 republication to be issued by Osgood & Co. of Boston, who subsequently declined, this is the complete first edition, unedited and published by Rees Welsh & Co. of Philadelphia in 1882. Features a portrait of Walt Whitman accompanied by tissue guard.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.