LAWRENCE CARROLL, by Richard Milazzo - 1998
by Lawrence Carroll
edited by Johann-Karl Schmidt
essay by Richard Milazzo
translations by Hilmar H. Werner; John S. Southard
Parallel German and English. Berlin, Germany: Cantz Verlag, 1998
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- ISBN: 3893225080
- Cover features oil and wax painting by the artist entitled "Drinking the Rain" from 1994.
- Wraps are in overall very good+ condition with light shelfwear.
- Corners are barely scuffed. (See Photos).
- Spine has black text against a gray background, and is free of any creases.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Front half-title has a small number in the top corner written in pencil. (See Photos).
- Illustrations are bright.
- Interior exhibits some faint marginal toning. (See Photos).
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
157 pages. 9 x 11 inches.
Born in Melbourne, Australia in 1954 and based for many years in Los Angeles, Lawrence Carroll makes paintings and sculptural objects that evoke, either physically or metaphorically, the elusive intricacies of the everyday. His muted palette and introspective approach recall Giotto and Morandi, Johns and Judd.
Lawrence Carroll (1954-2019) was an American painter and illustrator. His works are metaphors for their gradual process of creation. He builds solid wooden boxes, saws them up and reassembles them, sticks canvases between them, paints them and then sticks them to the wall. The artist sees these works as biographical documents of his own life, and as records of their production process. Looking at the seams and "wounds" of the work, the viewer can trace back Carroll's working methods, creating a personal relationship to the objects and their subtly constructed surfaces.
Richard Milazzo is a critic, curator, publisher, independent scholar and poet. Among many accomplishments, he's made significant contributions to art as an exhibition curator and writer, notably with Out of London Press, Edgewise Press and Collins & Milazzo.
EDITION POINTS: Text in German and English, presented in parallel.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore