KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS, by John Van Valkenburg - 1878
The Knights of Pythias Complete Manual and Text-Book
by John Van Valkenburg
2nd edition, Philadelphia, PA: Moss & Company, 1878.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Intricate decorations cover front, back and spine of this antiquarian volume. Well-loved and carefully used, the book remains in original condition with commensurate signs of age and use.
- Deep green cloth over boards has faded into marginal spots predominantly on front. Ink and gilt remain clear and mostly intact. Softened corners are lightly scuffed. (See photos)
- Spine ends are softened and lightly scuffed.
- Binding is intact with some play, with an occasional gutter gap.
- Back hinge is cracked along length of brown endpaper, secured only by threads. (See photos)
- Ffep has owner's sigs in black ink.
- Frontispiece maintains vibrant colors, with intact tissue guard
- Illustrations are clear with consistent even toning throughout.
- Ephemera is free of intentional marks.
- Interior is evenly age-toned with scarce minor blemishes.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks, with one exception of pencil marginalia on page 252. (See photo)
- Text block edges have commensurate toning and dust.
491 pages. 8.5 x 7.75 inches.
Handsome 19th century binding features rounded spine, beveled edges to cover, elegant blind-tooled decorations, with bright gilt features on front and spine, as well as blank ink borders all around.
This revised edition was as complete as possible at the time of it's publication. In addition to history and all the basic information desired by its members, the reader will find more historical information, committees, decisions of vital interest, reports, and biographical sketches of notable members. Lavishly illustrated throughout with inline images of symbols, uniforms, tables and charts; as well as plates of symbolic artwork, regalia, charter reproductions, and portraits of prominent members. Also includes piano music with and without lyrics.
"The Order of Knights of Pythias is an international, non-sectarian fraternal order, established in 1864 in Washington, DC, by Justus H. Rathbone and was the first fraternal order to be chartered by an Act of Congress." [KoP site]
EPHEMERA: Very thin paper insert advertising sewing machine casters is folded in half and tucked into text.
EDITION POINTS: Second Edition
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore