KIRBY'S WONDERFUL AND ECCENTRIC MUSEUM - 1820 [4 Vols]$650.00
Kirby's Wonderful and Eccentric Museum; or, Magazine of Remarkable Characters; Including all the Curiosities of Nature and Art, from the Remotest Period to the Present Time, Drawn from Every Authentic Source
by R. S. Kirby
Four Volumes. Presumed First Edition. Published by: R. S. Kirby, London, 1804, 1805, 1820.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes are in overall very good condition with well-preserved covers and mild toning to interior.
- Covers show elegant abstract pattern design.
- Boards are lightly exposed at corners, and display mild overall edgewear with gilt filigree along edges and dentelle.
- Volumes 1 and 3 display some small black stains on front, while volume 4 displays some black staining along upper edge of front cover. (See photos)
- Leather spines feature red title block with text in gilt, as well as gilt filigree and text and five raised bands.
- Spines display gentle overall rubbing, as well as some rubbing at ends. Volume 1 has a black stain to head, and volume 3 exhibits some fading of leather at head. (See photos)
- Binding is secure in all volumes and may have been professionally repaired.
- Engraving illustrations inside are well-preserved with occasional shadows and scarce marginal foxing.
- Handsome pastedowns feature colored marble design, and display minor toning, mostly marginal.
- Feps display some foxing and stains, as well as some pencil marks, that also affect some index pages.
- Interior is gently age-toned mostly at page edges, with mild scattered foxing in all volumes, as well as some shadows. Moreso to volume 2. Volume 1 is remarkably preserved, with scarce foxing and minor toning.
- At least one page shows light edgewear with corner chipping.
- Volume 2: textblock is of smaller dimensions. (See photos)
- Text block edges have AEG that is occasionally faded and scuffed.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
476 pgs (vol 1) + 486 pgs (vol 2) + 430 pgs (vol 3) + 428 pgs (vol 4) 5.5 x 8.75 inches.
An intriguing collection of biographies of eccentric characters, which will be sure to entertain and interest any who like stories of old times. As stated in the title, this original set contains all the curiosities of nature and art, from the remotest period to the present time, drawn from authentic sources. Putting together scientists, mathematicians, noblemen, or simply any kind of singular characters and personalities, Kirby's Museum is a real treasure trove of curiosities, from the boy with extraordinary powers of calculation to men found in a savage state. It tells the detailed story of each character, with the most unusual aspects of their personality and life, as well as giving their origin and how they came to be noted for their extravagance and unconventionality.
Includes numerous engravings from prints and drawings. Includes indexes and directions for placing the plates.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.