KING JAMES HOLY BIBLE, by Carey Publishing - 1801
The Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments: together with the Apocrypha: Translated out of the Original Tongues, and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised
by the Special Command of King James I of England
Philadelphia: Mathew Carey, 1801.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume is overall in good condition displaying expected overall wear and aging.
- Leather covers show overall rubbing, scuffing and edgewear with some areas of exposed boards, notably to corners which are bumped.
- Upper edges of both covers are scuffed, resulting in some chips in leather in these areas. (See photos)
- Spine features red title block with gilt text and five raised bands, and exhibits pronounced overall rubbing, scuffing as well as some fading.
- Spine ends are chipped and shoulders are cracked.
- Binding is secure with a minimal play.
- Map displays some edgewear, toning and foxing with some creases and mended tears, the longest of which runs 7.75" from upper edge to right towards hinge. (See photos)
- Engravings are in good condition, with toning and foxing consistent with rest of book.
- Front pastedown and fep display some pencil writing as well as an ink signature from previous owner.
- Pastedowns and feps show severe toning and foxing. Edgewear is pronounced on feps, both front and back.
- Interior displays notable toning and foxing, as well as occasional staining and edgewear to pages, including small corner creases, and at least one chip to fore edge of a page.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages exhibit occasional small holes, mostly first and last pages. Last page on back shows severe overall wear with creases and tears. (See photos)
- Textblock edges display expected aging and occasional small stains.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Pages not numbered. 9 x 11 inches.
Features a foldout map of Palestine, as well as nine historical engravings. Includes a list of subscribers with a supplementary list. Preface is dated 10/20/1801. Includes an index and an alphabetical table to all the names in the Old and New Testaments, with their significations, as well as tables of scripture weights, measures, and coins.
The Holy Bible comprising the Old and New Testaments as well as the Apocrypha, as translated from the original languages under the command of King James. The engravings give life to the most beautiful and important moments in the Bible, while the notes and references added in the margins provide additional details for study.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore