Karl Marx' CAPITAL, In LITHOGRAPHS by Hugo Gellert - 1934 [1st Ed]$325.00
"Capital" in Lithographs
by Karl Marx
illustrated by Hugo Gellert
FIRST EDITION thus. New York: Ray Long & Richard R. Smith, 1934.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition with GOOD DJ.
- Volume features hand-sewn covers with a great DJ. DJ will be wrapped in Mylar.
- Covers display mild overall wear and toning, approx. 2" maximum into cover on front and back.
- Boards display evidence of water damage with damp stain going up from foot to about middle of spine about 5in. Some pink staining is visible along foot edges of both boards, approx. 1" maximum into cover on back - less on front - as well as warping of cover at foot edge on front. (See photos)
- Spine has black texts, and is darkened, more to ends.
- Binding is secure throughout volume.
- Illustrations are well preserved throughout, with gentle toning.
- Interior is gently toned throughout. Evidence of water damage continues throughout volume, with light warping to foot edge of pages. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Last pages display a persistent crease all along fore edge, starting from foot, and continuing to head. (See photos)
- Text block edges exhibit commensurate toning and scattered foxing, as well as dust along head.
- Illustration and text of DJ is intact on front and back, with minimal affected at spine.
- DJ displays overall toning, more on back, as well as pronounced edgewear with chipping and tears along edges and shoulders, as well as notable creasing to back. (See photos)
- DJ is severely chipped along spine, with one chip going into text at head, and sunning.
- DJ also shows some pink staining at foot edge on front, as well as shoulder at head on front. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
60 pages. 7.25 x 10.25 inches.
Book features hand-sewn covers and great DJ that will be wrapped in Mylar.
The illustrator here presents a translation of this seminal work, using lithographs to create an admirable depiction of the spirit of the early 20th century working class, while breathing life and imagery into Karl Marx's ideologies. This single volume encapsulates Marx's great political and ideological work that impacted much of the social change of the late 19th century and throughout the 20th century, particularly for the working class. Some go so far as to claim that it formed the 20th century, the text is builds upon the thesis that the exploitation of labor is the motivating force of capitalism.
Karl Marx (1818-1883) was a German philosopher, economist, historian, sociologist, political theorist, journalist and socialist revolutionary. The author of numerous works that defined modern social science and political ideology, he was an influence on intellectual, artists, labor unions and political parties worldwide, with many modifying or adapting his ideas. He is considered one of the most influential figures in History.
Hugo Gellert (1892-1985) was a Hungarian-American illustrator and muralist. He was a committed radical and member of the Communist Party of America, and his many works of political activism have a distinctive style that was hailed by numerous critics of his time. His political work was considered one of the best of the first half of the 20th century.
Features the lithographs of Hugo Gellert.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition Thus.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore