JOUTEL'S JOURNAL OF LA SALLE'S LAST VOYAGE - 1906 [Ltd Ed]$525.00
Joutel's Journal of La Salle's Last Voyage
by Henri Joutel
A fascinating narrative of the voyage in North America of one of the greatest French explorers of the 17th century. Written as a journal by one of his commanders, the distinguished Monsieur Joutel, this month-by-month diary delivers an exceptionally precise and realistic account of the explorations of the French in the New World. Complete with a lengthy introduction, a preface and biographical notes on the author, illustrated with a giant fold-out map, this volume is a treasure for historians and adventure lovers. 258 pages. 7 x 9 inches.
This volume covers La Salle's "third and last voyage, is reprinted from the first English translation of 1714, of the original French edition of 1713."
Limited Numbered Edition. No. 42 of 500. Signed Custom Binding. Illustrated frontis and giant fold-out map. Complete with introduction and preface.
Published by: Joseph McDonough, Albany, NY, 1906.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition.
- Volume is in near fine condition with minimal wear on covers and inside.
- Color leatherbound covers are clean and well-preserved.
- Quarter leather-bound.
- Boards are clean and show slight wear from scarce rubbing.
- Boards exhibit lovely bright gilt filigree.
- Corners are sharp with minor rubbing.
- Spine has bright gilt text and decorations and is minimally worn with firm ends and minimal rubbing at head.
- Spine has four raised bands.
- Binding is firm and secure and feels unread.
- Handsome marble endpapers are in great condition with minimal wear.
- Front endpapers display slight rubbing and wear at upper right edge.
- Frontis is partially detached at foot of gutter. (See photos)
- Frontispiece features black & white photograph illustration and has intact tissue guard. (See photos)
- Foldout map is in fine condition free from creases and tears, and is minimally toned.
- Interior is minimally age-toned with scarce occasional foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Inside pages are heavy stock paper.
- Number of copy written in pen on reverse of half-title page. (See photos)
- Text block edges have bright gilt.
- Fore edge exhibits minor scuffing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore