JOHNSON'S DICTIONARY Of The English Language - 1819 [2 Vols]
A Dictionary of English Language: in which the words are deduced from their originals to which are prefixed a history of the language, and an English grammar.
Samuel Johnson, LL.D.
FIRST AMERICAN EDITION of the 11th London publication.
Printed and published by James Maxwell, Philadelphia. 1819.
Overall in GOOD++ condition.
- Good stuff: full leather binding, pages are free of stray marks and clear, text block is solid and tidy, binding is strong, ink inscription on ffep, red leather title block with gilt.
- Issues: leather is significantly cracked and chipping, foxing on pastedown and ffeps, frontispiece has imprinted on title page of each volume,
- Vol 1 has light foxing near ends of text block that disappear. Most of the inside pages are remarkably clean.
- Vol 2 is missing volume ID label from spine. Scattered light foxing throughout text.
- FYI: photo colors are approximate. Pages more gold and/or rosy in photos than in real life.
- Inside pages are free of writing or intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Two charming antique volumes, printed in a quality 19th century binding complete with rounded spine, raised bands, gilt, and high quality paper.
From the title page: "To which are added, Walker's Principles of English Pronunciation," which is over 50 pages. Includes frontispiece of of Johnson. These are large heavy volumes, with fairly small print: vol 1 is 3.5" thick and vol 2 is 3.25" thick (that's a lot of pages!) 8 X 10.75 inches.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore