JOHNNY APPLESEED AND HIS TIME, by Henry A. Pershing - 1930 [SIGNED]
Johnny Appleseed and His Time
by Henry A. Pershing
"In this sketch of Johnny Appleseed we must forget the present and betake ourselves to another sort of civilization. The Far West, as it was known one hundred years ago, is no more. Distances have been annihilated by the great lines of railroads that cross and intersect every state in the Union - they have destroyed the romance of frontier life. The modern appliances of telegraph, telephone, television, radio and many other like inventions, have left nothing for romance to build upon. The pioneer character has almost ceased to exist.
The story of Johnny Appleseed is one of more than passing interest, and the very telling of it is a tribute to his memory like the placing of flowers on his quiet grave. He will always be remembered as one of the early pioneers..."
Originally published in 1930, this volume presents the first printed biography of Johnny Appleseed spanning thirty-one chapters, accompanied by illustrations gathered from photographs, woodcuts and other sources plus a facsimile of his photography. Following the biography are two commemorative essays titled Monuments to His Memory and His Religion and Philosophy, each featuring photographic reproductions of various memorials. And finally, the volume concludes with a poem by Rosa A. Langtry titled Evensong. 379 pages with index. 5.5" by 7.75".
Signed and dated by the author on the ffep.
Included on the front pastedown is an inscription reading Author's Copy which may indicate that this copy was issued by the publisher to the author. Additionally, at the conclusion of the Prefix (ix) is a note reading S. Bend Indiana which again may have been written by the author himself though this has not been verified.
Signed copy published by Shenandoah Publishing House, Inc. Strasburg, Virginia. 1930.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Green cloth covers, featuring gilt lettering and illustration, exhibit signs of commensurate aging and wear though overall remain in very good condition.
- Boards exhibit prominent stains to the front, most notably along the right edge with heavier stains to the back
- Corners exhibit wear with a small portion of the cloth missing.
- Spine, featuring stamped lettering and traces of the original gilt, appears darkened and exhibits crushed ends with prominent signs of distressing.
- Binding is secure though some signatures do exhibit loose, exposed stitching.
- As stated, the ffep bears the dated signature of the author in pencil.
- Preface (ix) bears South Bend Indiana written in pencil beneath the authors name.
- Ffep (verso) and half-title page bear stains from paperclips.
- Pastedowns are lightly age-toned while the front pastedown bears faint traces of graphite and ink with Author's Copy in pencil and a dated signature of previous ownership in ink.
- Frontispiece is intact and exhibits faint smudges.
- Illustrations remain free of any major signs of age or wear.
- Interior is lightly age-toned
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock is cocked with mild play.
- Text block edges are gently darkened with the mild scuffing to the top edge.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore