JOHN GRAHAM'S SYSTEM & DIALECTICS OF ART - 1971 History Styles Periods Scarce DJ$110.00
Vintage volume showing minor overall wear to covers and interior and a great DJ. Some evidence of slight water damage with damp staining to upper edge near gutter. DJ is wrapped in Mylar and backed with archival paper. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE! Please see photos and detailed description for additional information. AS IS.
John Graham's System & Dialectics of Art
with an introduction and annotations by Marcia Epstein Allentuck
An extraordinary figure in the world of art, John Graham was not only an accomplished, though enigmatic, painter, he was also an aesthetician, connoisseur, and collector of African art, who was one of the first to support contemporary artists such as Jackson Pollock, Arshile Gorky, Willem de Kooning, and David Smith. Through this and his knowledge of French and Russian art he can be said to have provided a unique link between the European art of the 1920s and 1930s and American Abstract Expressionism. This, a remarkable analysis on the history, terminology, and various styles of art, will prove an invaluable guide to classify works of art, artistic currents, and how various economical and social factors as well as the historical context directed art along the paths it took through these times. Masterfully put together from unpublished writings by the artist, this edition also features a critical introduction and annotations. 213 pages. 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
Illustrated with some B&W reproductions of the author's works. Includes a critical introduction and annotations by Marcia Epstein Allentuck.
Presumed First Edition. Published by: The John Hopkins Press, Baltimore and London, 1971.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- ISBN: 0801811007
- Volume is in overall very good condition showing evidence of light water damage, otherwise well-preserved.
- Purple covers feature gilt and bright orange color illustration on front, and display mild edge fading as well as gentle bumping of lower corners.
- Back cover exhibits light damp staining.
- Spine features text in gilt with bright orange and purple designs, and shows mild overall fading.
- Binding is secure, and is slightly cocked forward.
- Front pastedown displays sticker residue along upper edge near hinge. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Last pages from page 207 display damp stain around head of gutter. (See photos)
- Head of textblock exhibits damp stain from inside. (See photos)
- DJ looks great behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ is price-clipped on top corner of return.
- DJ displays sunning to spine, with some edgewear to spine ends and corners.
- Back cover of DJ displays some warping and darkening, evidence of water damage found throughout book.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore