IRISH ORPHEUS: PATRICK S. GILMORE, by Marwood Darlington - 1950 [Signed]
Irish Orpheus: The Life of Patrick S. Gilmore, Bandmaster Extraordinary
by Marwood Darlington
Signed. Philadelphia, PA: Oliver Maney Klein CO., 1950
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition, with a VERY GOOD DJ.
- Green illustrated DJ covers features title with a musical design, a black and green photo of the author and biography.
- Boards are in overall good condition and show some shelfwear along the spine.
- Corners are sharp with minimal scuffing.
- Spine has green background with gilt text.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Ex libris book features an owner's stamp on front pastedown
- Endpapers and feps have some light dirt markings.
- Interior is gently age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have some moderate foxing. (Show Photos).
- Illustrated DJ has some edgewear and shelfwear, chipped corners and some tearing along the back edge head, as well as the head edge of the text block. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
130 pages. 6 x 8.5 inches.
The most memorable contribution by the Irish-born American Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore (1829-1892) is the lyrics to the song "When Johnny Comes Marching Home." Written while serving in the Union Army during the U.S. Civil War, it was originally published under the pseudonym Louis Lambert in September 1863. During his lifetime he was known as a dynamic bandmaster, who packed the house at every performance. This is his biography.
Marwood Darlington (1912-1992) studied voice as a young man, and later pursued a career in history, geneaolgy and with the Library of Congress.
EDITION POINTS: Signed on the title page.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore