IN A BALCONY by Robert Browning - 1902 [Ltd 395/400]$75.00
In a Balcony
by Robert Browning
design by F.W. Goudy and W.A. DwigginsVery scarce copy of this work by the famous poet. This is number 395 of only 400 copies printed on heavy stock with deckled edges while 15 copies were printed on Japan Vellum. Features designs by F.W. Goudy and W.A. Dwiggins. 65 pages. 6.25" by 9.25".
Numbered edition published by House of the Blue Sky Press. Chicago, IL. 1902.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Red burlap covers feature paper title sticker to the front and are in excellent condition with only faint stains and a small black spot to the lower edge of the front board.
- Corners are sharp though lightly bumped.
- Spine is square.
- Binding is firm.
- Illustrated pastedowns are clean though lightly cracked in places along the hinges.
- Endpapers are mildly foxed.
- The interior is clean with darkening to page edges with occasional mild foxing and light creases across corners.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Deckle edges.
- Includes plastic DJ that shows a chip from the head and a tear to the corner of the front board.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Frederic W. Goudy (1865-1947) was an American printer, artist and type designer whose typefaces include Copperplate Gothic, Goudy Old Style and Kennerley.
William Addison Dwiggins (1880-1956), was an American type designer, calligrapher, and book designer. He attained prominence as an illustrator and commercial artist, and he brought to the designing of type and books some of the boldness that he displayed in his advertising work. His work can be described as ornamented and geometric, similar to the Art Moderne and Art Deco styles of the period, using Oriental influences and breaking from the more antiquarian styles of his colleagues and mentors Updike, Cleland and Goudy.
Dwiggins is credited with coining the term 'graphic designer' in 1922 to describe his various activities in printed communications, like book design, illustration, typography, lettering and calligraphy (his first typeface designs were released much later). The term did not achieve widespread usage until after the Second World War.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore