IL COSTUME POPOLARE IN ITALIA, by Emma Calderini - 1934 [Ltd Ed]
Il Costume Popolare in Italia (The Traditional Clothing of Italy)
by Emma Calderini
with Introduction by Amy A. Bernardy
LIMITED EDITION, No. 741 of 2000 Copies. Missing illustration no. 32. Text in Italian. Milan, Italy: Sperling & Kupfer, 1934.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Volume features red cloth covers with gilt on front and spine.
- Book displays commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit some fading and darkening, as well as some edgewear with exposed boards at corners and along both ends of front.
- Front cover along head edge, as well as back cover along foot edge, show some scuffs with black spots. (See photos)
- Front board has cloth chipping off at head corner, as well as at foot edge. (See photos)
- Spine exhibits general gentle rubbing as well as some darkening, and softened ends. Cloth is chipping off at foot.
- Binding is fragile, with notable play that can appear cocked, and front hinge is cracked along 3" from head. (See photos)
- Hinges are professionally reinforced, possibly by printer or early owner.
- Front pastedown shows small pencil writing.
- Missing illustration no. 32.
- Illustration plates are well preserved with gentle toning. Head edge of plates shows a damp stain, persisting from first plate up to plate 126, 2" in maximum length. B&W plates are also affected. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned, text pages and B&W plate pages overall more than color plates, with same head edge damp stain persisting through most text pages. Toning is more pronounced along edges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display commensurate toning, as well as some small ink spots along head. Damp stain from interior is visible along head, 2.25" long, as is toning difference between text pages and plates.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
119 text pages + 14 B&W plate pages + 200 color plate pages. 9 x 11.75 inches.
Book features red cloth covers with gilt on front and spine.
Volume is lavishly illustrated with full-color lithographs and B&W plates. Includes 199 full-color plates out of 200 with plate no. 32 missing. Most of book is the tipped in illustrations are secured to an elaborate lip that was bound with the book.
This beautiful volume is a treat to the eye as well as a valuable historical document on Italy and its folk costumes. Featuring the different clothes worn by various classes of the population. Featuring apparel from different social stations and regions on full-color plates, as well as a B&W series of plates with details describing each part of men's and women's clothes and accessories. Finally, the text provides a valuable reference on the history of folk costumes in Italy, as well as a detailed description of each of the costumes featured in the color plates section.
Emma Calderini (1899-1975) was an Italian costume designer. This book is considered one of her finest works.
EDITION POINTS: Limited Edition, No. 741 of 2000, of which 1950 were numbered from 1 to 1950.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore