HOMER'S ODYSSEY & ILIAD, by George Chapman - 1857-65 [4 Vols]
The Whole Works of Homer, Prince of Poets, in his Iliads and Odysseys:
* The Odysseys of Homer (2 vols)
* The Iliads of Homer, Prince of Poets, never before in any Language truly translated, with a Comment on some of his chief Places. (2 vols)
translated from the Greek by George Chapman
Four Volumes. London: John Russell Smith, 1857-1865. This edition is from the Library of Old Authors.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes display moderate overall aging and wear.
- Three-quarter bound in leather.
- Covers display mild commensurate aging and overall scuffing.
- Boards feature handsome colored marble on paper surrounded by leather. Marbled paper displays overall scuffing.
- Leather edges of boards exhibit some rubbing that exposes boards at corners, as well as minimally on some areas along borders.
- Spines feature bright gilt text and filigree as well as five raised bands.
- Spine ends and raised bands show some rubbing.
- Binding is secure in all four volumes.
- First Volume of Odyssey
- features B&W frontispiece that is well preserved and barely affected by toning.
- frontis repro of original title page is protected by tissue guard. (See photos)
- First Volume of Iliad
- features portrait dual frontis on facing pages before title page of George Chapman as well as fully illustrated title page of original.
- images are protected by tissue guards, both gently aged. (See photos)
- Interior is mildly toned, with few signs of wear.
- Very few signs of foxing can be found in all four volumes.
- Some pages in each volume remain uncut, and text is visible on these pages with careful peering from head. (see photo)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks. B&W line illustrations decorate throughout.
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, and display commensurate toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
299 pgs (vol 1) + 275 pgs (vol 2) + 268 pgs (vol 3) + 302 pgs (vol 4) 5.5 x 6.75 inches.
Handsome 19th century fine binding with leather, bright gilt and raised bands, that includes what appear to be facsimile reproductions of the original edition's illustrations.
Homer (850 BC - 800 BC) is the legendary author of two of the greatest epics poems of Ancient Greece, The Iliad and The Odyssey. The first poem, The Iliad, is set during the ten-year Trojan war and has as main subject the quarrel between King Agamemnon and the warrior Achilles, and their adventures. The Odyssey relates the ten-year journey home of Odysseus, king of Ithaca, after the fall of Troy.
George Chapman (1559-1634) was an English dramatist, translator, and poet whose works show the influence of Stoicism. His version of Homer's works was the standard before that of Alexander Pope in the 17th century.
Four volumes. Two volumes of The Iliad and two volumes of The Odyssey. Volume 1 of The Iliad and volume 1 of The Odyssey feature B&W frontispieces and decorative designs throughout. Illustrations appear to be facsimile of original edition's illustrations. Includes introduction and notes by Richard Hooper.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore