HOMER'S ILIAD & ODYSSEY - 1905 [8 Vols Ltd Ed]$750.00
The Iliad & The Odyssey - 8 Volumes
illustrated by Flaxman
translated into Blank Verse by William Cullen Bryant
LIMITED DELUXE EDITION, No. 509 of 600 Copies. Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin and Company, 1905.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Custom early 20th century three-quarter-leather binding features colored marble paper on covers, with gilt and five raised bands on spine, as well as head edge gilt and publisher's ribbon bookmarks.
- Volumes display gentle overall wear and aging, with occasional rubbing and chipping to edges and some exposed boards, mostly to corners.
- Boards exhibit occasional scuffs, as well as light rubbing along some shoulders. Vol 3 Odyssey has minor bumps to head corners.
- Spines are occasionally rubbed at ends, with occasional chips. Vol 1 Odyssey has .25" scrape center of foot.
- Binding is secure in all eight volumes.
- Feps display foxing and occasional damp staining.
- Illustrations are bright and clear, well preserved and in great shape, with rare foxing in margins.
- Title pages and facing frontis have more prominent foxing and toning, most doesn't affect images.
- Interior is gently toned with occasional marginal foxing. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Last pages in some volumes exhibit some damp staining and offsets.
- Publisher's ribbon bookmark has left an offset in most volumes.
- Text block edges have gilt along head, and are partially deckled exhibiting gentle commensurate toning and occasional scuffing or gentle bumping.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
209 pgs (Vol 1 Iliad) + 189 pgs (Vol 2) + 229 pgs (Vol 3) + 197 pgs (Vol 4) + 161 pgs (Vol 1 Odyssey) + 163 pgs (Vol 2) + 161 pgs (Vol 3) + 150 pgs (Vol 4). 7.5 x 10.75 inches.
Deluxe Edition features custom three-quarter-leather binding with gilt and five raised bands on spine, as well as handsome blue marble paper on covers and pastedowns. All Volumes have publisher's ribbon bookmark as well as head edge gilt. Each has 2 frontispieces with tissue guards.
Features the illustrations of Flaxman. Translated into blank verse by William Cullen Bryant. Signed "Bound at the Riverside Press" on front fep. All volumes feature two frontises, the first of which is hand-colored, the second being a B&W reproduction. Includes numerous additional plates in text.
The beloved epic poems of Homer rank among the most renowned pieces of literature of all times. The two oldest extant works of Western literature, they are arguably the greatest epic poems ever written. The Iliad and its sequel, The Odyssey, narrate the story of the ten-year Trojan war, and the adventures of the Greek hero Ulysses during his journey home, as well as his triumphant return to Ithaca. They are written in Homeric Greek, and have been translated in various languages around the world.
Homer is the legendary author of The Iliad and The Odyssey, supposed to have been born in Ionia. The works attributed to him are crucial in the cultural legacy of Ancient Greece, and have influenced countless generations of poets, as well as all fields of art from literature to music and cinema.
EDITION POINTS: Deluxe Edition, Custom Bound and Limited to 600 Copies of which this is No. 509.
Sets can be sold separately as four-volume sets, for $400 each.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore