HISTORY of the BRITISH SETTLEMENTS & TRADE in N. AMERICA, Vol 1, by G.T. Raynal - 1776 [1st Eng Ed]
Philosophical and Political History of the British Settlements and Trade in North America, Volume I
by Guillaume Thomas Raynal
First English edition. Edinburgh, Scotland: C. MacFarquhar, 1776.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Full leather covers show commensurate wear and aging though overall remain in good condition, with the leather retain much of its original character.
- Leather boards exhibit a range of wear including scuffing, indentations, superficial scratches to the finish, a 2.5" portion of the finish missing from the rear left edge and general edgewear.
- Corners are bumped with partially exposed boards.
- Spine has five raised bands, a red leather title block with worn gilt lettering and shows cracks to the leather with portions of the finish missing; spine ends are missing which has resulted in a partially exposed textblock.
- Front shoulder is cracked along a 2.5" portion while the rear shoulder shows significant wear.
- Both hinges appear to be lightly cracked though the boards remain intact.
- Binding is firm.
- Pastedowns are age-toned with foxing and feature scraps of paper from another book. Please see text.
- Title page bears owner's signature in pencil.
- Interior is age-toned with occasional foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are darkened.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
240 pages. 4.25" by 6.25".
The first English language edition bound in full leather and translated from the original French of Guillaume Thomas Raynal.
Guillaume-Thomas Raynal, abbé de Raynal, (1713-1796) was a French writer, historian and propagandist who helped set the intellectual climate for the French Revolution. Despite his blending of facts with legend and opinion, his works were popular enough to be considered a cultural phenomenon. In addition to aligning with the ideas and ideals of the Age of the Enlightenment, he also wrote in defense of civil liberty, political equality and the right to happiness, as well as faith in progress.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.