HISTORY OF THE 104TH PA REGIMENT, by W.W.H. Davis - 1866 [Signed 1st Ed]
History of the 104th Pennsylvania Regiment, from August 22nd, 1861, to September 30th, 1864
by W.W.H. Davis
FIRST EDITION, Inscribed and Dated by author on front endpaper. Philadelphia, PA: Jas B. Rodgers, Printer, 1866.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Antiquarian binding features red buckram with rounded spine and blind-tooling.
- Volume displays gentle commensurate wear with overall fading and light scattered foxing to pages.
- Covers are faded mostly along edges, about 0.5" into board from edge, and display edgewear with rubbing to corners, where board is exposed. Foot corners also exhibit gentle bumping.
- Back board shows white staining along head edge, on an area approx. 3.25" x 1". (See photos)
- Front shoulder shows a 0.75" crack along foot edge.
- Spine is sunned, with some faint stains near foot edge, and some chipping to ends, where cloth is dry. Remnants of mostly faded gilt can be seen on lettering.
- Binding is fragile with significant play.
- Front fep, frontis, title page, list of illustration page and dedication page exhibit some marginal damp staining along head corner and fore edge. Damp staining is faint on title page. (See photos)
- Illustration pages are gently toned, showing light marginal foxing.
- Interior is gently age-toned throughout, with occasional foxing and smudges, mostly marginal.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges display notable age-toning, as well as dust along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
364 pages. 5.75 x 8.75 inches.
Antiquarian binding features red buckram covers with blind-tooling on front and rounded spine. Book features an illustrated frontis as well as B&W illustrations inside including portraits and battle scenes.
The history of the 104th Regiment of Pennsylvania is a valuable guide to a deep understanding of the Civil War, and this volume details the various campaigns undertaken by that regiment. It constitutes a honest, accurate record of the successive battles in which it came to be involved, without pretension to superiority in comparison with other regiments, but stating its devotion and steadfastness to the cause of the country.
The 104th Pennsylvania Regiment served in the Union Army during the American Civil War. Mostly recruited from Bucks County, Shuylkill County and Berks County, PA, it is honored by a monument in Doylestown, PA, that pays tribute to the dead of its infantry regiment.
William Watts Hart Davis (1820-1910) was a brevetted Brigadier General of the United States Volunteers during the American Civil War. He worked as a journalist, author and government official outside of his military service, and founded the Bucks County Historical Society. An avid historian, he "entered the Civil War with the intention of writing his unit's history, and the resulting study is a highly reliable commentary on the Peninsular and Carolina coastal campaigns."
EDITION POINTS & PROVENANCE: First Edition. Inscribed as "Presented to Geo. McIntosh, with best wishes from the author. 1868"
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore