HISTORY OF SCANDINAVIA, by Paul C. Sinding - 1860 [Signed]
History of Scandinavia, from the Early Times of the Northmen and Vikings to the Present Day
by Paul C. Sinding
SIGNED Third Edition. New York: Pudney & Russell, Publishers, 1860.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays commensurate wear and aging, with a well preserved overall appearance. Features geometric blind-tooled design, identical on front and back.
- Brown covers exhibit minor overall wear with a small scuff on back as well as some small spots, scattered on both covers yet more frequent on back.
- Back board has a tiny 1mm hole on shoulder near foot.
- Spine features faded blind-tooled gilt/copper lettering, and is gently sunned with some scattered dark spots, as well as a small white stain near foot. (See photos)
- Spine ends show a little fraying and softening.
- Binding is secure with a little play.
- Frontis piece is protected behind tissue guard. Both frontis and tissue guard show notable foxing.
- Front endpaper shows signature of author. Yellow endpapers show light toning on front and back. (See photos)
- Overall, interior is gently age-toned with few blatant signs of age/wear. There is light scattered foxing throughout, as well as dog-earing to page 141-142, that has left a line-shadow on surrounding pages from 138 to 146. (See photos for worst flaws.)
- Foxing is pronounced on last pages. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages 72-73 exhibit mostly marginal smudging, with residue in margin of pg 73. (See photos)
- Small newspaper cut between pages 70 and 71 has left some shadow on pages.
- Preface page shows a 0.5" closed tear to lower edge. (See photos)
- Text block edges show commensurate toning, as well as light scattered foxing, and dust along head, which may have been inked.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
436 pages. 5.25 x 7.5 inches.
Lovely 19th century binding features rounded spine and decorative blind tooling on covers. This cherished book was clearly well taken care of by it's previous owners, with minimal aging
From the time of the Vikings and their customs, to the mid 19th century at the time of Napoleon's conquest of Europe, here is an exhaustive and detailed history of Scandinavia. The section on the Vikings includes an extensive chapter on Norse mythology, as well as the customs and way of life of the first Norsemen, and their language, while the last chapters explore in detail the effect in Scandinavian countries of the revolutionary wave expanding in all of Europe around 1848, and the insurrections faced by Scandinavian kings and sovereigns. The various reigns of the successive kings from the beginning to the end of this fascinating history are recounted with a special attention brought to the personalities who made that history.
Features a frontis portrait of Margaretha, Queen of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Includes a preface by the author, dated August 1st, 1858.
EPHEMERA: small newspaper clipping inside, with part of a poem by Whittier, as well as "The Path of Duty" by Tennyson, on one side, and a partial news article involving the Financial Committee of the Scottish Convention.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore