HISTORY OF LONG ISLAND, Peter Ross; William S. Pelletreau - 1903 [3 Vols]
A History of Long Island
by Peter Ross and William S. Pelletreau
A splendid history of one of America's first and most appreciated regions. From the time of the earliest settlements to the present, this remarkable history tackles all subjects including social, religious, military life, the great battles, biographies of key political figures, which are all gathered at the end of the second volume and in the third, together with a section on the historic homes of Long Island, which is lavishly illustrated with pictures of these homes. The reader will find in this chronology, accurately giving the years and dates of the great battles and events, thoroughly describing them, and adding quotes and geographical details, all that a scholar should need to know about the history of Long Island. The beautiful pictures complete this handsome edition to make this a treasure in any library. 796 (vol 1) + 686 (vol 2) + 395 (vol 3) pages. 8.5 x 11 inches.
FIRST EDITION. Three volumes. Lavishly illustrated in black & white. First volume written by Peter Ross is a general history of early military, social, political, religious, medical, cultural, and educational progress, as well as information on the Native Americans. Second volume written by William S. Pelletreau includes regional history, stories, religion, industry, newspapers, as well as military, including two appendixes, on the colonial militia and the Revolution soldiers, as well as a section on historic homes of Long Island and a biographical section. Third volume written by William S. Pelletreau includes biographies of many notable New Yorkers.
Published by: The Lewis Publishing Company, New York & Chicago, 1903.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes are in very good condition with mild aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Covers feature handsome marbled paper, as well as brown leather with gilt designs and text.
- Boards display overall rubbing and edgewear, with some scattered scuffs and occasional chips. (See photos)
- Corners are rubbed, with occasionally exposed boards, and slightly bumped.
- Spine features text in gilt with four raised bands on all volumes.
- Spine ends show notable overall rubbing with occasional scuffs, fading and darkening.
- Binding is overall secure in all volumes.
- Endpapers feature handsome colored marble design.
- Interior is mildly age-toned with some scattered foxing. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, and exhibit mild general foxing and toning with occasional light stains. (See photos)
- Volume 1 has some chips in leather and paper along lower edges with exposed boards. Ffep displays small pencil notes.
- Volume 2 displays cracking along all of shoulder on front, where leather is also dry. (See photos)
- Volume 3 shows a bump to upper corner of front and lower corner of back.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore