HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY - 1844
Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey; containing a General Collection of the most Interesting Facts, Traditions, Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes, etc. relating to its History and Antiquities, with Geographical Descriptions of Every Township in the State
by John W. Barber and Henry Howe
Published by: Benjamin Olds, Newark, NJ, 1844.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume displays expected aging and wear for antiquarian book, with intact fragile binding.
- Brown covers feature blind-tooled design, as well as blind-tooled gilt text and design on front.
- Boards display pronounced edgewear, with rubbing and cracking along edges, which are dry, and expose boards on some areas. (See photos)
- Corners are bumped and rubbed with exposed boards.
- Spine features text and filigree in gilt, and is severely cracked with large chips at ends, 1" x 1.5" at head, and 1.75" x 1" at foot. Cracking persists all along shoulders.
- Binding is fragile, showing some cracking at hinges. Gutters inside are overall intact.
- Illustrations inside are well preserved, and exhibit moderate toning and occasional foxing as rest of book.
- Color frontispieces are protected by toned yet intact tissue guard. (See photos)
- Fold-out map displays some edgewear, with small creases and tears, and marginal foxing as well as overall toning. (See photos)
- Interior is toned with scattered foxing, pronounced on endpapers.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show expected toning, and are a little foxed along head where they appear to have been inked, being darker.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
A treasure trove of anecdotes and general information on the earliest years of the state of New Jersey. Filled with historical and geographical details on the various counties which constitute New Jersey, the book features eyewitness accounts of specific events having taken place in the areas concerned. Excerpts from local contemporary newspapers and inscriptions on monuments, complete this reference book on a state with a rich history.
Lavishly illustrated with 120 engravings and two color frontispieces. Includes a color fold-out map. Complete with an index of epitaphs and biographical sketches, and an appendix with a list of new towns and post offices in New Jersey. Also includes a census of the number of bushels of wheat, rye, and Indian corn raised in each township in the year ending June 1, 1850, at end of book.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore