HISTOIRE DU LUMINAIRE, by Henry Rene D'Allemagne; Emile Solvet - 1891 [1st Ed]$595.00
Histoire du Luminaire
by Henry Rene D'Allemagne
with illustrations by Emile Solvet
FIRST EDITION. Text in French.
Paris: Alphonse Picard, 1891.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Volume is in overall very good+ condition with minimal wear.
- Custom fine binding features professionally reinforced hinges and shoulders, with presumed original paperback covers inside, beautifully illustrated in full color.
- Leather over boards feature gilt lines and decoration as well as blind-tooled lines on front and back.
- Covers display minor shelfwear, mostly along front edge of back, with some exposed boards at corners. Dentelle has some rubbing, especially at foot edges.
- Spine features gilt text, lines and decoration, and has five raised bands.
- Spine ends show some mild rubbing to foot.
- Binding is secure.
- Illustration plates are one-sided are predominately in very good condition, with some marginal toning.
- Interior shows overall light toning with some marginal darkening. Very scarce smudges or spots visible.
- Owner's mark in pencil on ffep.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges have all edges gilt, and display minor scuffing and dust, and some rubbing to lower corner. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Fine 19th century leather binding with raised bands on a rounded spine, AEG, marbled endpapers, as well as gilt trim and dentelle. Bound within are presumed original illustrated covers. Lavishly illustrated with black & white drawings in line as well as many color single-sided illustration plates.
An invaluable antique publication. Written in an accurate and captivating chronology from the time of Roman Antiquity up to the nineteenth century, illustrated with splendid black & white drawings and line drawings by Emile Solvet, this is a volume to be treasured not only for its historical worth but also as an erudite scientific history of lighting, of all kinds and for all occasions, in great palaces and modest homes, during a great and lengthy time span which saw spectacular progress and improvement. The many technical and historical details, which include the context at the origin of changes and new discoveries, join the magnificent illustrations in making this exceptionally beautiful book about the history of lighting.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.