HENRI MATISSE, by Roger Fry - 1930 [French Ltd Ed, 178/650]$1,800.00
French edition with portfolio and DJ with French folds. All plates and illustrations present. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE! Please see description for more details. AS IS.
by Roger Fry
A splendid celebration of the French artist's varied yet deeply characteristic work. Illustrated with black & white as well as full-color reproductions, complete with an insightful text delivering a fascinating analysis of his style and variety, the volume offers a thorough study of one of the greatest French artists of the twentieth century, and a comparative exploration with some of his contemporaries, among whom Manet, Gauguin and Cezanne. To this are added biographical informations of great relevance to any art student or scholar. 50 pages of text. 9.25 x 11.5 inches.
FIRST EDITION. Limited Numbered Edition. No. 178 of 650. Illustrated with black & white and full-color reproductions of the artist's works. With slipcase/portfolio with three original publisher string ties. Wrapper with French folds. 40 plates at rear with list of illustrations at end of volume, as well as 4 full-color plates with tissue guards.
Henri-Émile-Benoît Matisse (French: [ɑ̃ʁi emil bənwɑ matis]; 31 December 1869 – 3 November 1954) was a French artist, known for both his use of colour and his fluid and original draughtsmanship. He was a draughtsman, printmaker, and sculptor, but is known primarily as a painter.
Matisse is commonly regarded, along with Pablo Picasso, as one of the artists who best helped to define the revolutionary developments in the visual arts throughout the opening decades of the twentieth century, responsible for significant developments in painting and sculpture.Along with Picasso, Matisse helped to define and influence radical contemporary art in the 20th century. Although he was initially labelled a Fauve (wild beast), by the 1920s he was increasingly hailed as an upholder of the classical tradition in French painting. His mastery of the expressive language of colour and drawing, displayed in a body of work spanning over a half-century, won him recognition as a leading figure in modern art. [Wikipedia]
Published by: Editions des Chroniques du Jour, Paris; E. Weyhe, New York, 1930.
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD condition with VERY GOOD- portfolio.
- Volume shows gentle aging with soft bumping of corners and some chips to edges of glassine over-wrapper.
- Color covers feature black & white sketch of the artist on front, with text.
- Wraps are well-preserved with minor edgewear.
- Corners are softly bumped.
- Spine has some loss and mild bumping and rubbing at ends.
- Binding is loosened with some gaps between pages, and is broken between some text pages at two places. (See photos)
- All plates are present.
- Interior displays gentle toning with minor overall aging.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some tissue guards are faded and toned with chipped and creased edge protruding from textblock.
- Text block edges are mildly toned and show some tissue guard edges protruding. (See photos)
- Volume has light green wrapper with French folds and glassine overwrapper which shows some chipping at spine ends.
- Portfolio is in very good- condition with some bumping to corners, and some rubbing to edges with exposed boards.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore