GIOVANNI'S ROOM, by James Baldwin - 1956 [1st US Ed]
by James Baldwin
FIRST AMERICAN EDITION. New York: The Dial Press, 1956.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- Handsome vintage binding features great DJ wrapped in Mylar, and quarterbound boards with a lovely pale green handmade paper. Title is in bright silver on black spine.
- Boards display minor to minimal edgewear and toning.
- Spine displays some softening and minor rubbing to ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Interior is gently age-toned throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display gentle commensurate toning.
- DJ looks great behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ displays some minor expert restoration to head of spine, which mildly affects the letters "Gio." Spine head is still notably chipped, and foot has minor chipping. (See photos)
- Back of DJ shows gentle toning, as well as some creasing and tears to edges, including a 0.75" vertical closed tear to head edge, that also shows some pencil writing. (See photos)
- Overall DJ exhibits light shelf wear, and has chips under .25" in 3 of 4 corners.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
248 pages. 5.5 x 8.25 inches.
Handsome vintage binding features color DJ, and light green handmade paper on cover. Volume is quarter-bound in black, and features silver lettering on spine.
Giovanni's Room is a novel of mystery and sexual tension, exploring many themes via a romantic triangle - a man engaged to a woman takes a gay lover while she's away. It treats a most controversial subject with skill and honesty to make the book a work of outstanding literary quality and interest.
James Baldwin (1924-1987) was an American novelist, playwright, and activist, whose works explore the intricacies of racial, sexual and class distinctions in Western societies. (taken from Wikipedia)
Includes a summary of story and a short biography of the author on DJ flaps.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore