GHOST-STORIES OF AN ANTIQUARY, by M.R. James - 1930[Tenth Impression]
Ghost-Stories of an Antiquary
by M.R. James
London: Edward Arnold & Co., 1930 (tenth impression).
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Gray fabric covers are mostly clean, with red ink bands and black text, the title in Gothic font.
- Boards show some bumps. Corners are bumped and scuffed.
- Spine has black text and is a little darkened, with bumped ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Ex libris book features an owner's stamp on front and back feps.
- Endpapers and feps have some moderate staining.
- Interior is age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
270 pages. 4 5/8 x 7 1/4 inches.
Montague Rhodes James (1862–1936) was an English author, medievalist scholar and don at the University of Cambridge. James laid the foundations of the modern ghost story. His stories were set in such places as seaside towns, country estates, and abbeys. They generally featured a nondescript and rather naive gentleman-scholar as protagonist, and their plots were set in motion by the discovery of an old book or other antiquarian object that somehow unlocks, calls down the wrath, or at least attracts the unwelcome attention of a supernatural menace, usually from beyond the grave.
This volume is the tenth printing of James' first collection of ghost stories.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore