GEE'S BEND: ARCHITECTURE OF THE QUILT, by William Arnett - 2007 [2nd Ed]$95.00
Gee's Bend: The Architecture of the Quilt
by William Arnett
"Gee's Bend: The Architecture of Quilts explores the lives and quiltmaking traditions of women from Gee's Bend, Alabama. The seven hundred or so inhabitants of this small, rural community are mostly descendants of slaves, and for generations they worked the fields once belonging to the local Pettway plantation. Heirs to a rich and long-standing textile tradition, quiltmakers from the Bend have produced countless patchwork masterpieces beginning as far back as the mid-nineteenth century, with the oldest existing examples dating from the 1920s. This book and exhibition are part of an ongoing series of research projects about Gee's Bend and its quilts. The Quilts of Gee's Bend, the first exhibition to document the quiltmaking achievements from this remote enclave, was launched at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston in 2002."
Features 330 high quality photographic reproductions of a variety of authentic regional quilts accompanied by information regarding the artisan, date of production, style and technique, materials and measurements. Includes a preface from the editors and ten essays by various authors. Includes index. 223 pages. 11.5" by 13.25"
Second Edition published by Tinwood Books. Atlanta, Georgia. 2007.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition with a NEAR FINE DJ.
- ISBN: 0971910456
- Black cloth boards, featuring stamped lettering to the front cover, exhibit only minor signs of wear.
- Boards exhibit an indentation to the bottom edge of the front cover while the rear cover appears to be mildly scuffed and scratched.
- Corners are bumped with prominent creases.
- Spine, featuring stamped lettering, is square and firm.
- Binding is firm.
- Illustrated pastedowns are free of any major signs of age or wear.
- As stated the corners of the boards are creased which has lead to the formation of faint impressions to the corners of the textblock; title page exhibits soiling that runs along the length of the outer right edge and page 125 exhibits similar soiling to the upper and lower corners.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- DJ is in NEAR FINE condition, exhibiting faint scuffing and creases to the corners, similar to those found on the boards of the volume.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore