GANYMED: EIN JAHRBUCH FUR DIE KUNST - 1922 [Vol 4 only]
Ganymed: Ein Jahrbuch fur Die Kunst
edited by Julius Meier-Graefe
directed by Wilhelm Hausenstein
Includes six original prints.
Volume Four only. Text in German. Munich, Germany: R. Piper & Co., Verlag der Marees-Gesellschaft, 1922.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is quarter-bound in red cloth, and features red lettering with red illustration on front of brown covers.
- Book displays mild overall aging and wear to covers, and is remarkably well preserved inside, with clear plates and text pages.
- Covers exhibit gentle overall rubbing with some exposed boards at corners.
- Spine is mostly faded, and shows general softening with a 0.5" tear to head edge of both shoulders. Gilt is still bright on spine. (See photos)
- Binding is secure throughout.
- Title page has a 0.25" circular smudge at right foot corner.
- Frontispiece is well preserved, showing gentle toning, a little more pronounced than plates inside. (See photos)
- Illustration plates are bright and clear throughout, with gentle overall toning, and intact tissue guards. (See photos)
- First illustration plate inside shows some minor graphite smudges along fore edge, also visible on corresponding tissue guard.
- Interior is gently age-toned and overall remarkably well preserved, with few occasional marginal smudges and fingerprints.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages 290 to end show a recurring bump to foot corner, about 0.5". (See photos)
- Text block edges display commensurate age-toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
314 pages. 8.25 x 11 inches.
Volume is lavishly illustrated with a stunning collection of reproductions of paintings, wood etchings, and more, as well as photographs of sculptures and musical scores. All plates are protected behind labeled tissue guards. Includes at least two color plates.
Includes six original prints by:
- Franz E. Hecht,
- Max Beckmann,
- Heinrich Campendonck,
- Richard Seewald,
- Felix Meseck,
- Max Unold.
Includes a list of illustrations. Appendix features essays by various writers on the Russians in Berlin, the future of the art critic, etc.
This magnificent art collection puts together some of the most remarkable masterpieces in sculpture, music and the visual arts with a lavish documentation on their artists and the contexts of their creation. Religious scenes, portraits, scenes of nature, or from everyday life, are all gathered here in this volume that encompasses a wide range of artistic periods and nationalities from Lukas Cranach and Albrecht Altdorfer to the Impressionists and later painters such as Paul Cezanne, Edgar Degas, Pablo Picasso and Edvard Munch. Including musical score and important information on musicians such as Carl Philipp Emmanuel Bach, it is also an impressive reference guide with numerous essays on art.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore