FROM MANASSAS TO APPOMATTOX, James Longstreet - 1896 [1st Ed]$250.00
From Manassas to Appomattox: Memoirs of the Civil War in America
by James Longstreet
Published by: J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA, 1896. FIRST EDITION. Lavishly illustrated with plates, maps, portraits and engravings specially prepared for the book. Includes a preface and both a list of illustrations and a list of maps. 690 pages. 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays minor signs of wear to covers and interior.
- Red covers feature handsome gilt and silver illustration on front, and show moderate edgewear with bumping and rubbing of corners.
- Boards are exposed at corners.
- Spine features text in gilt and small illustration, and exhibits general sunning with some chips to ends.
- Binding is secure, with small gaps at gutter between some pages. (See photos)
- Illustration plates are well-preserved with minor toning.
- Interior shows minor overall toning, which is lightly more pronounced at edges and along gutter.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Front fep displays an ink inscription from previous owner. (See photos)
- Text block edges show expected toning, as well as some faded inking and scuffing along head. Foot shows a faint mark.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
This amazing volume constitutes an exceptionally reliable as well as profound account of possibly America's greatest interior conflict. Thirty years after the great war some of the most distinguished personalities who participated in it, still saw in their minds with all the vividness and detail that make them so fascinating to read now, the adventures, events, anecdotes that made the history of this great country, a history of courage, dedication, and bravery that comes alive even more as told by the heroes who fought in it. Filled with portraits of some of the most important figures of the war, complete with maps providing a geographical understanding of the war terrain and maneuvers, this book is a treasure not only in historical but in American literature.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore