FRANKENTHALER, by John Elderfield - 1989
by John Elderfield
New York: Harry N. Abrams Inc., 1989
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition, with a NEAR FINE DJ.
- ISBN: 0810909162
- Illustrated cover features a painting by the artist that wraps around to the front and back cover.
- Boards are in overall near fine condition.
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine has black text against a color illustrated background.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned around the margins.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have light markings on the top corner edge. (See Photos).
- Clear plastic DJ has some shelfwear.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
448 pages. 12 x 13 inches.
Helen Frankenthaler was an American abstract expressionist painter. She was a major contributor to the history of postwar American painting. Having exhibited her work for over six decades, she spanned several generations of abstract painters while continuing to produce vital and ever-changing new work. Frankenthaler began exhibiting her large-scale abstract expressionist paintings in contemporary museums and galleries in the early 1950s. She was included in the 1964 Post-Painterly Abstraction exhibition curated by Clement Greenberg that introduced a newer generation of abstract painting that came to be known as Color Field. Born in Manhattan, she was influenced by Greenberg, Hans Hofmann, and Jackson Pollock's paintings. Her work has been the subject of several retrospective exhibitions, including a 1989 retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, and been exhibited worldwide since the 1950s. In 2001, she was awarded the National Medal of Arts.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore