FOR THE BIRDS: John Cage in Conversation with Daniel Charles - 1981 [Signed]$450.00
For the Birds
John Cage in Conversation with Daniel Charles
SIGNED by Cage on front endpaper. FIRST EDITION in the English Language. Boston, London: Marion Boyars, Publishers, 1981.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- ISBN: 0714526908
- Volume displays little overall wear and aging and is well preserved.
- Cloth over boards appears to be handmade.
- Covers show minimal edgewear limited to light bumping of head corners, as well as faint tape residue to edges. (See photos)
- Boards are otherwise Very Good+.
- Spine features gilt lettering.
- Binding is secure with a little play.
- Front fep features signature of the author. Title page shows facsimile signature under title. (See photos)
- Interior is barely toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show minimal toning.
- DJ looks great wrapped in Mylar and backed with archival paper.
- DJ is not price-clipped. (See photos)
- DJ is in great condition exhibiting mild overall toning and some smudges. Edges are barely worn.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
239 pages. 7.5 x 8.75 inches.
"I am for the birds, not the cages that people put them in."
An interview of the American musician and composer that gives an insight into his world and the true nature of his genius. Following the course of Daniel Charles and the composer's answer's the reader is taken into Cage's creative mind, discovering the creative process as they gain insight into the artist's musical quest. They discover that this quest is also philosophical, deeply connected with the composer's view on life and what it means to be an artist.
John Cage (1912-1992) born John Milton Cage Jr. was an American composer, music theorist, artist, and philosopher. A pioneer of indeterminacy in music, electroacoustic music, and non-standard use of musical instruments, Cage was one of the leading figures of the post-war avant-garde. [Wikipedia]
Daniel Paul Charles (1935-2008) was a French musician, musicologist and philosopher. He was born on November 27, 1935 in Oran and died on August 21, 2008 in Antibes.
Volume includes a Preface by Daniel Charles, an Introduction by John Cage, ten interviews between the two, and an Afterword to the French Edition.
ORIGINAL TITLE: POUR LES OISEAUX, Paris: 1976.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore