FOLKLORE-SONGS OF THE U.S, by D.Lawrence; W.Rosemont - 1959 [Signed Ltd Ed]
Folklore-Songs of the United States
Words and Music collected by Dorothea Dix Lawrence
Words and Music arranged by Walter L. Rosemont
SIGNED. New York: Dorothea Dix Lawrence Folklore Society, 1959.
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD- DJ.
- Volume displays minimal overall aging and wear.
- Yellow wraps feature monochrome blue illustration on front, and show minimal edgewear.
- Spine exhibits some foxing and dust (see photos).
- Binding is secure.
- Page following title page features volume number written in pen and signed by Dorothea Dix Lawrence and Walter L. Rosemont, facing B&W portrait photograph of Dorothea Dix Lawrence. (See photos)
- Interior displays minimal aging and wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges display minimal scuffing and dust.
- Onion skin DJ is mildly worn along edges, with some tears, chips, including a 0.5" long chip to head of spine, and a crease all along upper edge on back. (See photos)
- DJ also shows some foxing along spine, and a couple of small black stains on back. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
131 pages. 9 x 12 inches.
Dorothea Dix Lawrence and Walter L. Rosemont have collected in this volume some of the best-loved American folk songs, from various origins in the US. Some come from Louisiana and consequently have French lyrics, while others are about the Old West, and some even find their deeper origin in Ireland. For each song is given its specific origin, as well as some interesting details about its meaning. Lyrics in French have full English translation.
Hand-numbered as #889. Signed by both contributors: Dorothea Dix Lawrence and Walter L. Rosemont, with volume number written above. Rosemont (ascap) was a composer and lyricist specializing in American historical music. Lawrence (1856-1980) was a successful opera singer in the 1930s and 1940s.
Features a B&W photograph of Dorothea Dix Lawrence. Includes a key to musical classification, and a key to illustrations. Includes historical anecdotes and information, as well as some B&W photographs. The state of origin of each song is indicated above the score, with a note and number indicating where the song or item is to be found on the Folklore Music Map of the United States.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.