FLASH!, by Harold Edgerton and James Killian - 1939 [1st Ed]
Flash! Seeing the Unseen by Ultra-High Speed Photography
by Harold E. Edgerton and James R. Killian
FIRST EDITION, First Printing. Boston, MA: Hale, Cushman & Flint, 1939.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volume features linen covers with rounded spine and brown text on front cover and spine.
- Volume displays little overall wear and aging.
- Covers exhibit gentle bumping at corners, as well as a stain to foot of shoulder on back, approx. 1" x 2.5".
- Spine displays some sunning. (See photos)
- Spine ends are a little softened, less to foot than head which also shows a soft bump.
- Binding is overall secure with some play. Frontispiece is detached. (See photos)
- Illustrations are well preserved, showing gentle overall toning. Photos are more white than in person.
- Interior is well preserved overall, with gentle toning throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges exhibit gentle commensurate toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
203 pages. 8.5 x 11.25 inches.
Vintage volume features linen covers and rounded spine with brown text.
Book is lavishly illustrated with B&W photographs, and features a full-color frontispiece.
A magnificent visual display, this book presents in pictures some of the most stunning achievements of stroboscopic photography. The images in this book are examples of high-speed motion-picture photography, called stroboscopic because it requires a controlled pulsing light to catch the fastest moments with the greatest possible accuracy. Movement such as the firing of a bullet, a foot kicking a ball, or an object falling, are caught in photographs of astonishing accuracy, allowing the eye to detail an instant that is otherwise to fast to even be seen.
Stroboscope Photography refers to the technique of photographing a moving subject with the shutter of the camera open to yield multiple stationary exposures of successive movement phases, with pulsed flash illumination or mechanical devices that intermittently allow the light passing into the camera. [from Digital Photography Tips and Techniques online]
EDITION POINTS: First Edition, First Printing.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore