FABLES OF LA FONTAINE, illustr by Gustave Dore - c.1870 [Pictorial Cloth]
The Fables of La Fontaine
illustrated by Gustave Dore
translated into English Verse by Walter Thornbury
Published by: Cassell Publishing Company, New York, c.1870.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is in very good overall condition displaying mild commensurate wear and aging.
- Brown pictorial cloth covers feature gilt, and exhibit minor edgewear with rubbing and occasional small bumps.
- Boards display minor overall rubbing.
- Spine features faded gilt text with black illustration. Ends are rubbed and a scuff is visible in middle. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure with play.
- Illustration plates are intact and well preserved.
- Interior displays gentle overall age-toning.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are faded AEG, with some dust. Fore edge and foot exhibit apparent red and green staining.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
175 pages. 9.5 x 12 inches.
La Fontaine's Fables are one of literature's most famous and treasured pieces. They come to life in this magnificent edition that features the engravings of Gustave Dore. Dore (1832-1883) was at once a printmaker, illustrator, caricaturist, and sculptor who worked primarily with wood engravings. His illustrated works include many famous classics like Milton's Paradise Lost, Dante's Inferno, and the fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen.
Illustrated by Gustave Dore. Features a dedication by La Fontaine to Louis, Dauphin of France, son of Louis XIV, as well as a preface.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore