ESQUIRE: THE MAGAZINE FOR MEN - May 1969 [V.71; No.5]
Esquire: The Magazine for Men (Vol. LXXI, No. 5)
contributors include: Claes Oldenburg; Evan S. Connell; Sam Shepard; Esquire Staff; Diane Arbus; Andy Warhol,
New York, NY: Esquire, Inc., May 1969
Magazine is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Illustrated cover features a photograph of Andy Warhol in a soup can from 1969.
- Wraps show some light shelfwear and edgewear.
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine has black text with white background.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Illustrations present and clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned, exhibits minimal signs of age and wea
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Inside pages have one advertisement cut out on page 217.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
240 pages. 10 x 13 inches.
This issue is famous for the iconic cover featuring Andy Warhol drowning in a can of Campbell's tomato soup. It is one of series of Esquire covers designed while under the art direction of Madison Avenue's George Lois (of "I Want My MTV" fame), and permanently installed in the Museum of Modern Art, NYC as of 2008.
It also includes writing by Claes Oldenburg, Evan S. Connell, and Sam Shepard as well as photos by Diane Arbus and Andy Warhol.
Esquire is a long-running American men's magazine, published in the US by the Hearst Corporation since 1986, along with over 20 international editions. Founded in 1933, it flourished under the guidance of founders Arnold Gingrich, David A. Smart and Henry L. Jackson. Under Harold Hayes in the 1960s, it pioneered the "New Journalism" movement. After a period of quick and drastic decline during the 1990s, the magazine revamped itself as a lifestyle-heavy publication under the direction of David Granger.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore