ELLSWORTH KELLY, by John Coplans - 1971
by John Coplans
Published by: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers, New York, 1971.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with VERY GOOD DJ.
- Volume displays minor overall aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Linen covers exhibit minimal edgewear with occasional bumping, mostly to corners.
- Spine features black text, and shows some darkening to ends, as well as slight softening of head.
- Binding is secure.
- Full-color tipped-in illustration plates are well-preserved. (See photos)
- Interior is minimally aged.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display light toning and slight occasional stains, as well as some dust and smudging to lower corner, with a 3/8" stamp mark on foot edge. (See photos)
- DJ looks nice behind Mylar, and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ is well-preserved and minimally toned, and displays minor edgewear along upper edges and head of spine, with some creasing and darkening. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
299 pages. 11.75 x 11 inches.
The first full-scale study on the American artist. The author traces Kelly's career from its beginnings, with the apparition of his Constructivist works and the earliest mature work in 1949, to explore his path in the light of his interest for Impressionism, the influence of his contemporaries, and an insightful analysis of several of his works. Taking into account all that is important in Kelly's life, Coplans shows why he may rightfully be called "one of the most enigmatic forces in contemporary American art" and why his work re-examines the nature of vision itself, and the creative potential of art. In addition to the study of his color field painting the volume also closely studies his endeavors in the domain of sculpture in which Kelly also distinguishes himself.
Ellsworth Kelly (1923-2015) was an American painter, sculptor, and printmaker associated with hard-edge painting, Color Field painting and minimalism.
Features 225 illustrations, 68 of which are in full-color. Includes two fold-outs. Contains a biographical outline, a bibliography and a section of plates with a list.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.