ELLIOT'S DEBATES ON THE FEDERAL CONSTITUTION, by Jonathan Elliot - 1907 [4 vols]$225.00
The Debates in the Several State Conventions, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution, as Recommended by the General Convention at Philadelphia, in 1787. Together with the Journal of the Federal Convention, Luther Martin's Letter, Yates's Minutes, Congressional Opinions, Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions of '98-99, and Other Illustrations of the Constitution.
by Jonathan Elliot
Published by: J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA, 1907. Second Edition. Set of Five Volumes, with Volume 3 missing. Revised, with additions. Includes a Preface to the First Edition, as well as a table of contents. 508 pp(vol 1) + 556pp (vol 2) + 639 pp(vol 4) + 641pp (vol 5). 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volumes display mild to moderate overall wear to covers, and minor toning to interior.
- Blue covers are moderately rubbed, with some dust and scattered scuffing, and show mild overall edgewear including a small scuff to upper edge of front, as well as severe rubbing and fading to upper corner of back, with some residue, both on Vol 5. (See photos)
- Corners show some bumping and rubbing with occasionally exposed boards on all volumes.
- Spines feature text in gilt, and exhibit moderate overall wear with some rubbing and softening to ends.
- Binding is secure with a little play in all volumes, especially Vol 1 which shows a small gap to gutter between pages 224 and 225, and Vol 2 which also displays a small gap towards end pages. (See photo)
- Interior is well-preserved with light toning.
- Front fep in Vol 2 displays a pencil signature. (See photos)
- Vol 5 displays a persistent damp stain along upper edge of pages throughout. (See photos)
- Pages occasionally display ballpoint pen marks, underlinings, and annotations throughout in all volumes.
- Text block edges are darkened along head where they also show occasional light stains, and exhibit gentle overall toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Revised and compiled from contemporary publications, here is a record of the various debates and conventions which led to the adoption of the Federal Constitution. Including the Letter of Luther Martin, as well as some other documents of great importance in the events that were to follow, this compilation constitutes in a valuable record, the history of the major act of law in the making and development of the United States of America. This edition allows, in the light of the revisions and additions, a profound insight into, and understanding of, the events and decisions that led to the adoption of the Constitution.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore