ELEMENTS OF CHEMISTRY, by Chaptal - 1801
ELEMENTS OF CHEMISTRY, by Chaptal 1801 Historic French Science Antique Book
Elements of Chemistry [3 vols in 1]
by Jean-Antoine Chaptal, comte de Chanteloup
TITLE CONTINUES: “By M.I.A. Chaptal, Chevalier of the Order of the King, professor of chemistry at Montpellier, honorary inspector of the mines of France, and member of several academies of sciences, medicine, agriculture, inscriptions, and belles lettres. Translated from the French. Three volumes in one.”
Chaptal (1756-1832)was a brilliant French scientist. Notable enough that Revolution leaders decided his scientific contributions were more important than a questionable political stance, and he escaped the guillotine. This is one of his early treatise, and it remains an important work even today.
- "Part First, Concerning the Chemical Principles." Pages 1-174.
- "Part Second, Concerning Lithology; or an account of stony substances." aka Geology. Pages 175-276.
- "Part III, Concerning Metallic Substances." Pages 277-436
- "Part Fourth, Concerning Vegetable Substances." Pages 4375-85.
- "Part V, Concerning Animal Substances." Pages 586-673.
With so many reprints available, this is a remarkable chance to own a piece of science history!This copy is in better shape than would be considered a "reading copy" yet is in sturdy enough condition to be gently read by its new owner.
Translated from the original French into 19th century English. 5.5 X 8.5 inches.
Second American edition, printed by John Bioron for John Conrad & Co., Philadelphia, PA. 1801.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Full leather, high-quality, fine binding, with rounded spine.
- Binding is strong and secure, with no play in covers.
- Interior is free of writing and intentional marks.
- Covers exhibit bumping to all corners with some scuffing to all surfaces, with more on edges.
- Leather near shoulders and along spine has moderate creasing, with a little cracking and some chipping.
- Spine features an inset title block with darkened letters, that is cracked and chipping.
- Upper part of front pastedown is lifted from the board and shows small chips off outside edge.
- Front pastedown has writing in pen and small owner's sticker.
- Back pastedown shows a few numbers in pencil.
- Text block is swollen, preventing book from closing flat.
- Pages show some overall darkening to text block,
- Inside pages have some foxing, smudges and stains, yet all text quite legible.
- index at end has one note in ink.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookbotique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks
- When you buy from us, we would greatly appreciate positive feedback to add to our ratings! Thank you in advance!
- We encourage you to contact us with any questions! We also welcome additional information on any of our listings.
- Other shipping options may be available. Please contact us for more details and information. Pickup is also welcome!
- Orders ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment, unless otherwise notified. Payment is due within 2 days of auction end to guarantee availability and price.
- International Buyers: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges; these charges are the BUYER's responsibility. FULL VALUE will be declared on all overseas items.
- If your order hasn't arrived, or isn't as described, please contact us and we'll work with you to find a satisfactory resolution!
Launched from my store - Powered by Highwire.com