ECONOMICAL COOKERY - 1840
Economical Cookery: designed to Assist the Housekeeper in Retrenching her Expenses, by the Exclusion of Spirituous Liquors in her Cookery
published by Benjamin Olds
FIRST COOKBOOK PUBLISHED IN NEW JERSEY. Published by: Benjamin Olds, Newark, NJ, 1840.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Historically significant and scarce New Jersey imprint: first documented cookbook published in the state of New Jersey.
- Volume exhibits moderate expected overall wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Green paper boards display pronounced toning and staining, as well as notable edgewear with exposed boards and soft bumping to rounded corners. Black stain on back cover, about 1.5"x 1".
- Spine has been replaced, and displays faint white staining to head on back.
- Binding is overall secure, with little to no play, and splitting at hinges. (See photos)
- Ephemera is well-preserved, with commensurate toning and some edgewear.
- Pastedowns show some pencil writing. (See photos)
- Front fep has previous owner signature.
- Interior displays pronounced aging, with toning, foxing and staining throughout as well as some marginal folding. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display commensurate wear with occasional staining and creasing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Miscellaneous ephemera with some hand-written (pencil and pen) and typed recipes are included.
This recipe book was designed as a reference for cooking without the use of alcoholic beverages, and includes recipes for cakes, pies, preserves, vegetables, all sorts of meats, and more. It also features old cures and remedies for warts, burns, cramps, coughs, as well as practical guides to dyes, and cleaning and preserving various objects and materials with natural substances. It is an invaluable reference book for the kitchen and beyond.
Includes an appendix with cures, remedies and methods for diverse practical processes.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore