EARLY FRENCH GLASS, by M. Eugene Hucher - 1865 [elephant folio]
Vitraux Peints de La Cathedrale du Mans: Ouvrage renfermant les plus Belles Verrieres et la Description Complete de Tous les Vitraux de Cette Cathedrale
(Stained Glass of Le Mans Cathedral: Volume containing the Most Beautiful Glass and the Complete Description of All the Stained Glass of That Cathedral )
by M. Eugene Hucher
All plates present. Text in French. Paris: Didron, 1865.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Elephant-size volume features uniquely painted covers with title in green on front, and B&W plates inside.
- Covers display edgewear with some areas of exposed boards along edges, more notably at corners. Overall, they are worn and faded, disguising what might have been original to publishing.
- Spine is faded with most text and paint rubbed off, and exhibits fraying and chipping of cloth at ends. Foot also has a 2.5" tall chip exposing layers of spine board, some of the sewn gatherings and board at shoulder.
- Binding is fragile. Gutter is split between title page and table of contents page. (See photos)
- Pages exhibit some marginal toning and even warping. (See photos)
- Title page has a full length vertical crease/fold with a 1" closed tear at head edge. (See photo)
- All plates are present and well preserved with mild occasional toning and foxing, mostly marginal, and light occasional damp staining throughout, more to last pages.
- One plate is loose inside. Loose plate displays some damp staining as well as an ink stain to upper edge. (See photos)
- Text portion in front is gently age-toned with little occasional foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages show occasional edgewear with small tears and chips throughout. Feps have some damp staining and warping. (See photos)
- Text block edges exhibit commensurate toning and wear.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Pages not numbered. Approx. 150 pages. 17.5 x 23.75 inches.
Elephant-size volume features hand-painted covers and all B&W plates are present.
This remarkable volume features reproductions of the most awe-inspiring stained glass of the Mans Cathedral. Reproductions are paired with detailed explanations to ensure optimal comprehension of the plates. Window by window and panel by panel, each glass is described in detail including the meaning of all the elements. The text also includes a history section on stained glass in cathedrals.
Le Mans Cathedral is a Catholic church situated in Le Mans, France. It was built as a tribute to Saint Julian of Le Mans, the city's first bishop. He is attributed with bringing Christianity to the area in the 4th century.
Historical and descriptive text in French. Includes a table of contents with descriptions of the stained glass of each section of the cathedral. Reproductions of the painted glass are in B&W in volume.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore