DRUGGING A NATION, by Samuel Merwin - 1908 [1st Ed]
Drugging a Nation: The Story of China and the Opium Curse
by Samuel Merwin
First Edition. Published by: Fleming H. Revell. New York, NY. 1908.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Red cloth covers feature stylized stamped cover title with illustration and exhibits signs of commensurate age and wear.
- Boards are gently darkened, rubbed and soiled with mild edgewear, most notably to the bottom edges.
- Corners are mildly bumped and rubbed with partially exposed boards.
- Spine features partially faded ink-stamped title with authorship while only the impression of the publisher remains and exhibits crushed, frayed ends, creases to areas of the surface and a black residue with fading to a small area that includes the rear board.
- Binding is secure though pages 78/79, 80/81 exhibit mild cracks along the lower portion of the gutters. Please see photos.
- Endpapers are gently age-toned.
- Ffep bears a signature in pencil and a brief inscription in ink while the rear pastedown and facing page exhibit black flecks and smudges, likely from graphite.
- Frontispiece is present and is lightly toned with intact tissue guard, both exhibiting a mild moisture stain along the upper edges.
- Illustrations are intact and unworn though the following pages exhibit a faint moisture stain along the top edge: page 50 with faint foxing, 68, 88, 114, 154 and 172.
- Interior is gently age-toned with faint smudges in areas and exhibits a faint moisture stain along the top edge of the leafs to the following: pages 114-116, 153-156 and 171-174; pages 35-42 exhibit creases to the top and bottom corners. Please see photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock features deckled fore-edge and bottom-edge while the top edge is darkened and gently rubbed.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Includes an Appendix by Charles F. Gammon, former editor of Success Magazine. 212 pages. 5.25" by 7.75".
The Story of China and the Opium Curse. A Personal Investigation, during an Extended Tour, of the Present Conditions of the Opium Trade in China and Its Effects upon the Nation. First published in book form in 1908 and based on a series of articles which appeared in Success Magazine during 1907 and 1908.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.