DR. BODO OTTO, by James E. Gibson - 1937 [Signed 1st Ed]
Dr. Bodo Otto and the Medical Background of the American Revolution
by James E. Gibson
FIRST EDITION. Signed and inscribed. Black & white illustrations and a table of contents included.
Springfield, IL; Baltimore, MD: Charles C. Thomas, 1937.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition with GOOD+ DJ.
- Volume is in fairly good condition with light wear and moderate aging.
- Covers feature text in gilt on front.
- Faded blue cloth covers are dusty and toned, more to edges, with dirt and a few small yellow stains on front and back. (See photos)
- Back cover displays a darkened area around edges.
- Boards show light edgewear, with darkening all along borders.
- Corners display minimal rubbing and bumping.
- Spine features faded gilt text, is notably sunned, and has pink staining along shoulders near head.
- Binding is secure.
- Back fep displays author signature and inscription in ink pen, written upside down on page. (See photos, presented upright for readability)
- Interior is gently age-toned with pronounced scattered foxing on some illustration pages. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages show pronounced foxing and some marginal damp stains.
- Text block edges are toned and darkened, with occasional staining mostly to front, and some foxing along head.
- DJ shows considerable staining and darkening, and is rough around the edges.
- Stains and darkening are concentrated near edges, as are rubbing, chips and closed tears.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
345 pages. 6.5 x 9.25 inches.
A comprehensive history of the life and times of a Revolutionary War surgeon.
Dr. Bodo Otto originally emigrated from Germany to settle in Philadelphia, PA in 1755 and was a Senior Surgeon during the conflict. Part biography, part documentary, and with a healthy dose of personal perspective, this remarkable volume offers a snapshot of a significant time in American history. Included are his experiences as a surgeon, with many reports from various sources, edited for authenticity and clarity, as well as a complete and thorough history of the Otto family and ancestry dating back from the Thirty Years' War, and their beginnings in Saxony.
Through this fascinating narration of an American surgeon's life, the medical conditions and customs of these times are unveiled. Much is revealed in the web of letters, notes, declarations, quoted at frequent intervals throughout the text. The reader will also discover the surgeon's deep humanity and sense of honesty, sometimes in conflict with the reality of war.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore